Tools and tips for highly sensitive people
Self-care is a key concept in learning to cope with your high sensitivity. Learning to feel what your body and mind need. Taking care of this as much as possible, giving yourself strength and confidence and allowing you to be present in the NOW.
Look carefully at how you are shaping this now and where you would like to tweak dings. Explore a lifestyle tailored to you!
- Ensure you have a good day/night rhythm and enough sleep, arrange your bedroom in a calm way, without stimuli or radiation.
- Make sure you have enough healthy food, fresh, preferably unsprayed and varied.
- Take care to alternate tension and relaxation, regularly seek rest in nature, art and spirituality. (hiking, sports, meditation, doing things with your hands and body, wherever you love and are spontaneously drawn to).
- Take care of your loved ones and friends, but put self-care first.
- Dedicate fun, humour, creativity and play in your life.
- Take care of your appearance and wear comfortable clothes.
- Take care of????
CONCRETE TIPS: (See what appeals to you)
- Keep a gratitude journal, write down three things you are grateful for every day. Can be small things (Smile from the neighbour, fresh egg from the farmer, but also that I am doing work that makes me happy).
- Looking back over the day, possibly writing down what hit you. You walk back the day from going to sleep until you got up.
- Schedule a monthly day for yourself where you do something that nourishes you and makes you happy, date with yourself. (Don't delete if something else comes along, take it seriously!)
- At overstimulation take a step back, sometimes 5-10 minutes are enough.
- Exploring freedom and silence in yourself, where do I experience it, how do I nurture it?
- In case of stress, tension examine where do I really need? Where have I gone over my limit, how can I find more balance again? What do I need?
- Anticipate, have a busy day coming up, plan rest afterwards.
- Making choices, do I really want this?
- Build in space when someone asks you something? Do I really want this? I'll come back to it, run with it for a while.
- Taking sensitivity seriously and expressing it. Pleased to work, say, four mornings than whole days.
- Nutrition, what am I taking in, literally and figuratively, am I listening to my body?
- Getting handy, going shopping at quiet times, for example.
- Learning to shut yourself off more.
- Take a shower after work and change your clothes.
- Drinking something hot, with all the attention with your cup of tea.
- Breathing well, yawning, feet on the ground, back straight, grounding.
- Be kind and gentle to yourself, be your own best friend and smile here and there.
Want to respond to this article? Then let us hear from you in the comments below.